Aspergillus mold is found frequently indoors, and often is misidentified as Penicillum. Because of this even though they are two different types of mold, both destructive and dangerous in their own way, they are often grouped together.
In most adults, aspergillus will cause minor allergenic (mold allergy) reactions. However there are adults, children, and elderly who are susceptible to aspergillus mold. Those who are susceptible could experience respiratory infections, hypersensitivity pneumonitis which is inflammation in the lungs, chronic sinus infections, and worse case scenario, bleeding in the lungs which could be fatal.
Aspergillus is a mold that releases several mycotoxins including Aflatoxin. Aflatoxin is one of the most potent carcinogens* known to man and has been linked to a variety of health issues. Aflatoxin is quick to target the liver and lungs. * If you would like to see a full list of different mold types and their associated mycotoxins, click here
The Mayo Clinic** list several symptoms that could occur after exposure to aspergillus mold including sepsis which is an infection that spreads through your body ultimately causing organ failure. If you are having any symptoms you feel are related to mold exposure it is important to see your doctor. We recommend bringing your inspection report with sample testing results to prove to your doctor that you indeed have been exposed to mold and mycotoxins.
Aspergillosis is a disease caused by exposure to Aspergillus spores. There are several difference types of Aspergillosis ranging from mild to very serious. The CDC reminds all of us that while most people can be exposed to Aspergilllus with simple allergenic symptoms, for others it creates very serious health issues. To read more about what the CDC says about Aspergillosis, click here.
Aspergillus is commonly found on wallpaper, wallpaper glue, fabrics, wallboard and chipboard, and even behind paint. They can also hitch a ride into your home on certain foods, they love nuts, oranges, and onions to mention a few. Make sure that you don't let these foods spoil and remain in your home. Dispose of them quickly at the first sign they are going bad so you prevent an active food source for Aspergillus.
If Aspergillus is discovered in your home or work place during a Mold Inspection it is recommended that you seek a licensed Mold Remediation company to properly handle the mold removal and return your home's indoor air quality to a safe level.
Common Worldwide Mold. Looks similar to Penicillum.
Dry spore type, dispersed through air. Food source for mites and various insects.
Outdoors in soil, compost, fruit rot, decaying plant life,
Indoors dust, wallpaper, fabrics, wallboard, chipboard, also in certain foods.
Yes, including Aflatoxin